Proud Mama of Lil Lady

Proud Mama of Lil Lady
Proud of my preemie peanut

Proud Mama of Lil Man

Proud Mama of Lil Man
Love my lil man

Monday, January 19, 2009

That Kind of Parent - Wear it Proudly

Today I have come to the realization that I AM "that kind of parent." And I'm proud to say it!!

Before having kids, I remember seeing families in stores and when the little one acted up, they would get a toy, cookie or some type of "reward". I vowed that I would NEVER be that kind of parent. (Ha! Who was I kidding.)

However, upon having a little man of my own, and now knowing the "true parent secret" behind giving in a bit here and there (Yes, Survival - it will make you do the darndest things), I proudly admit - I am a supporter. Some people may try to hide this badge or do it silently or out of the public light, but I will proudly say that there are times when you just have to give a little to get a lot. Now, I'm not saying to give little Johnny a candy bar or a huge new toy, but if letting him having a bite of a bananna (which is on your list and which you are buying already) does the trick, then go for it!

What I didn't realize before being a parent is that there are many daily battles. Battles to get little ones on the potty (and then to use it), to get them dressed (preferably in clothes - though a Wonder Pets PJ shirt is OK frome time to time), eating some breakfast (without feeding it to the dog or getting mad and throwing it on the floor - where the dog eats it - not like this has ever happened to us before), etc. With that said, the battles are much, much less than all of the wonderful time where they are beyond flexible for being carted around to stores - when let's face it, they would prefer being at home playing with their toys. If we ask them to "give a little" and haul them with us, then what is wrong with giving them a little when they need it?

No comments: