Proud Mama of Lil Lady

Proud Mama of Lil Lady
Proud of my preemie peanut

Proud Mama of Lil Man

Proud Mama of Lil Man
Love my lil man

Sunday, January 31, 2010

From the mouth of a pre-schooler

My son is going to be 4 year old in May, and I must say that he is in his prime of saying the best things. I am really enjoying his explorations and discoveries - and then hearing the perception of the world through his words. And I think the best are yet to come!!



From the mouth of a pre-schooler... memorable quotes from the week:



"MaPa!" - his favorite new way to call for mama and papa. I love how he has combined them into one word. Very smart as it's a sure fire way to get a response!!



"Look Frank, I got a new train!! We need to buy Frank a doggie train." - today we went to the store and yes, I hate to say it, but I needed to resort to a bribe. Not typical, but a reality. He picked out a train, Douglas - from Thomas the Tank Engine series - and the first thing he did when he got home was to show it to Franklin, the dog. Talk about no truer sense of man's best friend - or maybe it should be pre-schooler's best friend. It was endearing and I love that he did it!

"Can't go to school today!" - This statement alone proves that he is my son. While it might hold little significance to you, it speaks volumes to me. I have never been a fan of school, and that is putting it mildly. In fact, the only grade I liked was kindergarten. When I got to first grade I use to lock myself in the bathroom stall and cry, refusing to come out (until coaxed or threatened by an impatient teaching assistant that I would be sent back to kindergarten if I did not come out and rejoin the class). I love that he enjoys to spend time at home with us, playing with his toys. It is a special moment as I know that someday he will want to trade at-home time for friend time.

"Where's his mommy? She must be at work!" - This quote is hard to write. Lately when we're watching one of his shows and he sees a child character he always asks, "Where's his mommy?" His response sums up the reality of our situation - "His mommy must be at work!" You seen, I am a working mom. While I really enjoy what I do (and I do), it's moments like these that tug at my heart. In just this one statement he is reflecting on life as he knows it and that is hard for me.

No comments: