Proud Mama of Lil Lady

Proud Mama of Lil Lady
Proud of my preemie peanut

Proud Mama of Lil Man

Proud Mama of Lil Man
Love my lil man

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Sign of a great vacation!

It was the first day after the holidays. We had all taken the time off to spend time together. We had family in town visiting too and had many wonderful adventures.

When the Monday after the holidays finally came, my son turned to me and said, "We can't go to school today!"

At that moment, two things happened...

First, I saw myself. You see, I have never really been a fan of school (OK, that is being gentle). I often joke that the only grade I ever really liked was kindergarten. It's a half day and you get to play. What's not to like about that?

When I got to first grade, I clearly remember not wanting to be there. I would go to the bathroom and cry (really) in a bathroom stall. I remember one of the teacher's or teacher's aides tell me once, that they would send me back to kindergarten, but I was too old. (Yes, really!) I remember this so clearly. I hated being at school all day and only having one recess. And this was my normal feeling. After being on vacation, summer break, etc. I can only imagine how challenging it was for my mom to stay strong, tell me to be positive - and always smile - and then have to send me off to school. I always would tell her that, "I don't want to go to school!"

Now, time warp back to present day - with me being the mom... the second thing that my son's words said to me - also reminded me that the apple didn't fall far from the tree.

By saying that he didn't want to go to school - it was a sign. A sign that he had a truly wonderful vacation. Looking at the words in this way, while the words themselves made me sad, they also made me feel good. Good that our time together over vacation was extra special and that he didn't want it to end. That made me feel so good as a mom that I'm doing something right - and that my lil man had a wonderful vacation.

Whenever I get close to the end of vacation, I too always say - "I don't want to go to school." I too have a very difficult time with saying goodbye to vacation with family. I guess I am sentimental and cherish the time that I have - and love the fact that my son does too. He's clearly a loving, sensitive, sweet lil guy.

I see so much of myself in my son. It just amazes me some days. This was one of those days. Maybe we will just have to stay home from school. :)

No comments: