Proud Mama of Lil Lady

Proud Mama of Lil Lady
Proud of my preemie peanut

Proud Mama of Lil Man

Proud Mama of Lil Man
Love my lil man

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Mine's Bigger ... My Earthquake that is

Today was a first. We were sleeping (wish I could say soundly, but I had recently gone back to bed after nursing lil lady) and then at apx 4:00 AM, we were awoken by the room shaking. We experienced our very first earthquake!!

My husband and I are both from the Midwest, so this was definitely a first. The good news is that no one was hurt, the kids didn't wake up and the dog didn't even bark (which is a miracle as he is quite a talker!!).

Two things I had to share. The first is an email that my husband sent to my entire family (which is split between living in IL and California) - mom, dad, sisters, brother, etc. all included. The second speaks to the immediacy of social media and its impact on how we communicate.

First, here is my hubby's email (not for the faint of heart or anyone easily offended).

Subject: Mine's Bigger...
My Earthquake that is - it's bigger than yours. We we're awoken at 4:00 AM this morning by a 4.1 earthquake, which is pretty substantial for the Land of Lincoln.

- The house started shaking
- We woke up
- Stephanie said "WHATS THAT?"
- I said "Earthquake, go back to sleep"

How ya' like me now California???!!!

The second is about social media. You see, I did not go back to sleep after the earthquake. I was a little shaken, no pun intended, so I decided to see what was being said on TV. I turned to all of the local news stations, waiting for a moment... and then nothing. No breaking news, nothing. I then went online to see what Yahoo news or MSN would have to say, but again, nothing. (I actually thought that maybe I was delusional. Maybe it was not an earthquake at all.) So, I turned to Twitter. I got on Tweet Grid and typed in earthquake. There I found it. A stream of tweets that was running as fast as it could, trying to keep up with all of the new tweets. There, and within minutes, I was able to find out that it was a 4.3 earthquake and that the epicenter was just outside of De Kalb, IL.

Later the news stations caught up, but it was social media that prevailed with the fastest account and urgency on the day's anomaly. Our world is changing and I can't wait to see what happens next!!!

2 comments:

Kim Moldofsky said...

My husband thinks I'm being snarky when I say I get all the important news from Twitter, but it's true! I recall an earthquake here in around 1988 or so, but I didn't feel it.

Glad you're okay and that you didn't spend the night tossing and turning wondering if you were delusional.

Unknown said...

Your husband is soooo nice compared to mine. He truly made me think I was mad!!! so my 4:00am conversation was like this:

4:00am house shakes - big noise is heard - I wake up: What was that? did you fall out of bed?

4:01am husband: I heard nothing, I am trying to sleep

4:02am I get up and check on the kids (still convinced someone fell out of bed) - Kids are fast asleep!!

4:03am I panic - someone is in my house - they must have broken a window, so I proceeded to go downstair to scare the intruder - with my sleepy face I guess as I did not carry any suitable weapons with me - not even a shoe!!!!

4:10am I am by now convinced I am imagining things. Everything in my house is normal... including my mail post which I did check just in case a snowplow knocked it over...

4:12am go back to bed to husband comment: are you still up? you are MAD? there was no shaking and no sound... go to bed.

Dare I say I was so pleased to hear the news on my way to work and making that wonderful call from the car and sort of shouting: "See I am not MAD, there was an earthquake last night!!!"