Proud Mama of Lil Lady

Proud Mama of Lil Lady
Proud of my preemie peanut

Proud Mama of Lil Man

Proud Mama of Lil Man
Love my lil man

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Focus on what is REALLY important

Today I am departing from my regular posts. I got some sad news from my sister-in-law and it is with a very heavy heart, but with a purpose, that I share this post with you today.

I just got the news that my sister-in-law's mom has only days or up to a week to live. My sister-in-law is in her early thirties and her mom is quite young too. Her mom was diagnosis with a rare, untreatable cancer a few years ago, but has suddenly declined over the past week.

I want to share this story because I think that it sometimes takes a crisis (family, mother nature) to remind us of what is really, truly important in life. We are all guilty (come on, you know that you are!) of getting caught up in things that are really not important - and exhausting hours of valuable time on them (i.e. worrying about what we can't control, trying to keep up with others, spending too much time at work fixing a project that is perfectly fine as-is, staying late when we really aren't adding any more value and what we are working on can wait until morning - you get the drift). You might think that you are focusing on what is important, but lets face it, in the bigger picture, these things aren't necessarily the things you will reflect on later in life when you are thinking of what matters most and what you accomplished.

So, if today's post only serves as a reason to hug and kiss your husband, children and family; or to return the call of a friend or loved one; or to tell someone who you work with that they are really valued; or the catalyst needed to inspire you to do something that you have always wanted to do - something that you love and which would really make a difference (something off of that personal list of things that you never seem to get to), then I feel that today's was worthwhile.

So, don't stay late at work today - and go home to your family who loves you and who will value the extra few minutes that you spend with them. This will make all of the difference.

1 comment:

K Mom said...

This is a really meaningful entry and one that I can certainly relate to. I lost someone close to me and do treat everyday like it's my last...as yucky as that may sound, it's better for me to know that my last encounter with anyone will be the best. Even when my mom and I get in a fight, one of us always calls the other back to say..I'm still mad, but I love you!