Proud Mama of Lil Lady

Proud Mama of Lil Lady
Proud of my preemie peanut

Proud Mama of Lil Man

Proud Mama of Lil Man
Love my lil man

Monday, August 25, 2008

Lost in translation

This weekend we went to the "super park" (as a friend from work calls it). It is the mecca of all playgrounds.

My husband and I were playing with my son (he has just become a fan of slides). He was waiting patiently (who am I kidding. He was being held back by dad so that he didn't run over any other kids) his turn to go down the slide when a little girl got in line behind him. She was older than him, maybe by a couple of years and she had a stuffed dog.

My husband asked her what her dog's name was (trying to be friendly). She proudly told my husband the dog's name and my husband preceded to say, "Killer Bear"? The little girl said, no, trying to correct him - but again it sounded like "Killer Bear." (I know, you're thinking what child would ever name a dog Killer Bear - and even worse - what parent would think that is what a child would name her cute, cuddley stuffed dog. My only response is my husband of course.)

The girl tried to correct him, and then finally her mom came to the rescue - sharing that the dog's name was "Car-i-bel".

Close enough. The fun of being lost in translation.

1 comment:

hugginandstuffin said...

I know exactly what that is like. My daughter has problems with many sounds in her speech. If she is excited or nervous in any way she is really hard to understand. There are many times I either have to come to her rescue and repeat what she says or I need a translator (usually one of my other daughters) to figure it out. And by the way I've heard of much worse names for kids stuffed animals than Killer bear, as I do that type of thing for my job. You should hear some of the names people come up with.